Motors are the essential components to many devices we use in our daily life. Good motor repairs maintain the efficiency level of the motor before its failure and remain for a notable amount of time when placed back into operation.
In the case of standard motors, repair may not always be the required option. The motor service center should advance premium efficiency replacement alternatives to repair, which may save you a considerable amount of money. The motor service center usually specializes in specific sizes and types of motors. If the motor is an ordinary one, the service center should be able to offer replacement models in order to meet your needs on time.
Working Of A Motor
A motor turns electrical energy into motion because it uses electricity’s magnetism to attract, then repel components to rotate a shaft. One can attach fan blades, knife blades, wheels, or dozens of other elements to the shaft to make useful devices like blender, cassette deck, CD player, coffee grinder, computer fan, computer printer head, DVD player, electric can opener, etc and there are hundreds of such gadgets who receive motion through electric motors.
Small appliances utilize a universal motor that is simple, efficient and can run on either alternating current or direct current power. Whereas larger appliances require more power as compared to smaller appliances and they use a split-phase induction motor to generate more rotating power.
Identification Of Motor Problem And Tools Needed For Motor Repair
Following are some problems that your motor may face:
1) You might see a sudden spark inside the motor, the rotor or the stator.
2) If you smell a strange pungent, acrid odor, it indicates that your motor’s windings may be damaged.
3) If you notice that your motor is hot to touch, then something may be blocking ventilation around the motor.
If you have enough of electrical experience then with the help of some advanced tools such as screwdrivers, wrenches and multimeter you may be able to repair a motor yourself and if not, then you might also consider consulting an electrician to make the necessary repairs to the motor.
Steps To Repair A Motor
1) Make sure that the power cord wires are not in contact with the motor, and they are disconnected from the motor.
2) To test the flow of electricity through the motor, set the multimeter on the RX1 scale to measure resistance . The internal battery of multimeter will transfer a small electrical current through the wires of the motor.
3) Attach one probe of the multimeter to the motor’s common lead. Then attach the other probe to each of the other wires on the motor. The probe will see if it can measure the input signal of the multimeter. Moderate reading means the component is fine and zero reading means another component has a short.
Today, there are more and more resources that motor users can employ to ensure high-quality repairs and maintain efficiency. Since motors are almost used in each element we use in our daily lives, it is very essential to take good care of them and schedule their necessary repairs.